Thursday 21 January 2010

I have found it!

The red circle is over the house of my childhood ...


















It was semi-detached, but I always remember it as a BIG house.
(Then again, perhaps I was just rather small!)
It had a huge kitchen and we tended to live almost exclusively by the kitchen fire.
There were at least three separate rooms in the cellar. Of course, we didn't keep wine there - just paint tins and the odd volatile solvent.
Apart from the usual domestic accomodation, there was an attic. WOW!
No, I don't mean a draughty loft. This was my private space where I would dream of owning a three-rail Hornby-Dublo train set. That always remained a dream.

The imposing building in the picture, to the left of the house, was the Baptist Church at which my father was the minister until 1957/8. That's how we had such a big house. The only problem was that 'The Manse', just up the steps, didn't belong to us. That building is no longer a 'house of God'. It has become a residential conference centre. If I could discern some subject about which I could residentially confer, I would be pleased to visit.

Now, here's my first school, just down the hill ...














I don't want to go back there.
Mrs. Harrison was horrid to me when I wet my pants.
To this day my life has been a catalogue of bladder problems, and it's all her fault!

No comments: