Monday 8 February 2010

The Latest Instrument ...

A couple of weeks ago a friend, a regular participant at our folkie-gathering, indicated to me that she had a musical instrument for which she had no further use. She said that she would generously give it to any member of the club who might like it. I eagerly responded by saying, “I might be interested.” (I omitted to specify exactly what I was interested in.)
“You shall have it,” she said.

So, one Friday night I wobbled home from the club bearing a large and heavy black box. To my chagrin, Jane, my wife was still up and about.

“What’s that?” asked she.
“Just something I’m looking after,” I calmly replied.
“Till when?” she asked with a terrifying look of suspicion in her eyes.
“Just until it’s better,” I confabulated.

The following morning I arose early, thinking that Jane was still asleep.
Ever so quietly, I ventured downstairs.
I gently opened the aforementioned box.
I beheld a vision of sheer delight.
“Oh, joy! You are such a pretty thing!” I was moved to exclaim.
Little did I know that Jane was not asleep; she had heard my declaration of ecstasy from the bathroom.



“I knew it,” she cried, “You’ve got a woman in there!”
“Oh no, dear,” I replied, “It’s just a piano accordion.”

“THAT’S EVEN WORSE!”

No comments: