Sunday 15 August 2010

Using a Senior Railcard ...

There are some advantages to being of advanced age.

Recently, at a small cost, I acquired my Senior Railcard. This entitles me to substantial discounts on off-peak rail travel.



On Monday I plan to travel from Chichester to Didcot, a distance of 88 miles.
The return rail journey will cost me less than £25.00.
That’s only about 7p. per mile.
(Perhaps not many people want to go to Didcot.)

I do!

I even booked my tickets on-line and was able to collect them from my local station.
Isn’t that remarkable?




For years I have wanted to visit The Didcot Railway Centre which houses a collection of Great Western Railway locomotives and rolling stock. I acknowledge that such an excursion may not have widespread appeal, but if you’re over 60, admission costs only £4.50 instead of £5.00. This just gets better!




What more could a senior citizen want?

Here’s a train journey, a piece of industrial heritage and respite from housework, all for less than £30.

Perhaps I’ll repeat the expedition on Tuesday!

(For a slide-show of my visit click Didcot slide-show)

No comments: