Tuesday 26 February 2013

Regarding Baron Guillaume Dupuytren ...


 
Baron Guillaume Dupuytren
(1777 -1835)

 This French anatomist and surgeon is best remembered for having treated Napoleon's haemorrhoids.
He also described this condition, known eponymously as Dupuytren's contracture ...
 
 
In some cultures this could be perceived as a rude gesture.


Above, you see St. Anley's ageing left hand, with the characteristic deformity of fixed flexion of the little finger.  This has become rapidly more apparent since the beginning of the year. There is also some thickening involving the flexor tendons of his ring and middle finger.

St. Anley, having trawled earlier medical knowledge, and after consulting wikipedia, knows what it is. It will only get worse.

"Please may I have an appointment to see my GP?" asks St. Anley on the telephone.



"Of course," replies Tracey, (now a medical receptionist.)
"Come along at 7.30 in the morning."
(Gosh, these doctors work long hours these days.)

My GP's surgery just after sunrise.

The consultation proceeds thus:
  • Doctor: "You have a Dupuytren's contracture."
  • St. Anley: "I know."
  • Doctor: "It will only get worse."
  • St. Anley: "I know. What can be done?"
  • Doctor, becoming animated: "Surgery!"
  • St. Anley, anxiously: "Will it hurt?"
  • Doctor, with considerable glee: "Undoubtedly!!"
  • St. Anley, with furrowed brow: "Is it life threatening?"
  • Doctor, becoming impatient: "There is the highly regrettable risk that you will survive!!!" (I think this doctor doesn't like me.)
  • St. Anley: "What's the recovery time?"
  • Doctor: "Oh, about three months."
  • St. Anley, dejectedly: "How will I be able to play my musical instruments?"
  • Doctor: "Badly!"

... No change there, then!

No comments: