Monday 7 March 2011

A New Grammatical Phrase ...

I  have just invented the 'ortho-palindrome'.
Now, we all know that a palindrome is a word that looks and spells the same when written forwards, or in reverse.

Look at these words:

1. Banana
2. Dresser
3. Grammar
4. Potato
5. Revive
6. Uneven
7. Assess

What do they have in common?

Answers by post written on the back of an exceedingly large cheque will be gratefully received.

Correct responses in 'comments' will be rewarded by being published.

Now I'll work on neo-onomatopoeia!

5 comments:

Le Sanglier said...

Those are very nice words but I don't get the "ortho" part of "ortho-palindrome."

The City Folk Club said...

I made up that word.
The 'ortho' bit suggests that it's not quite a palindrome - but nearly.

Le Sanglier said...

I got that you made it up but doesn't ortho mean something like "normal" or "straight" or "correct"? So if you are making up a word for a palindrome with a twist... well... do you see my confusion? How about uropalindrome since each word you listed has an extra letter stuck on the end after it is palindromated?

The City Folk Club said...

Le Sanglier wins the prize.
Congratulations!

Le Sanglier said...

Yay! It was really hard. I had to google all those prefixes myself. Now... what have you come up with for neo-onmatopfohadsof?