Thursday 23 October 2008

I wonder why ...

Why do people write blogs?

This one started as an experiment. Everyone else seemed to be doing it. Would my own technological apparatus prove adequate for the task? There was an interruption for about a fortnight after I posted an image of underwear; I can't imagine why.

Then I found youtube.com. Although initially I could upload my own videos to the site, I was repeatedly advised that I lacked the appropriate software to view them. The only way I could view them was to 'embed' them into a blog. This explains some of the early rubbish I posted. More recently I have resolved that difficulty and I found that I can download and embed other people’s far superior material. Increasingly, these inclusions in the blog have become a 'look-what-I-found-today' exercise. Is this legal? I ask.

There is the notion of a diary, I suppose. No, I don’t mean the ‘I woke up this morning, passed water, made tea, washed and shaved …’ sort of chronicle that most children have abandoned by 7th January every year. It is the documentation of transient thoughts and passing fancies that would otherwise be lost in the tedious routine of everyday life. Frequently such thoughts seem to mutate into something that might form the foundation of a letter to someone important. On the other hand, maybe it’s the other way around, whereby blog posts are a proxy for more meaningful correspondence. “Why should I write to someone important?” I ask. After all, my blog is in the public domain; it is available for all people of great importance to comment. Interestingly, no one does, not even creatures of no importance whatsoever!

Importantly, there is creativity, like that stream of consciousness that might be described as ‘poetry’. This is an evolutionary process that involves continual re-visiting and editing.

Finally, I have to conclude that the above is complete self-justifying BOLLOCKS. Blogging is nothing more than a gratuitous, self-indulgent, self-glorifying and self-celebratory activity that occupies the spare moments of sad people who can't sell such spare moments on Ebay, and have nothing better to do with them than to demonstrate their familiarity with the semi-colon!

(Thanks to outaspaceman for that wonderful line about 'stream of consciousness ...') ;;;

No comments: