Sunday 31 May 2009

A Gracious Woman ...

I have a friend who has a charming and delightful wife. In some recent correspondence I urged him to 'value her'.

This is how my friend responded:

I've had [my wife] valued. Despite being an older property of considerable character with a pleasant facade and a satisfying interior, the high maintenance required affects the value rather badly. Or in my case, baldly. For myself, a striking, if unusual, frontage is affected by some seepage at times and a tendency to cracks and dry rot. Roof needs attention to avoid damage by sun, wind and rain. There are some marks left by previous repairs, and everything creaks. All in all, a newbuild would be a better choice, but they are in high demand, and the owners prefer first-time buyers.

Remember, my friend ...

2 comments:

Musically Bent said...

What a comical little gem your good friend is. The snag is that he means every word of it. I wonder if, had he had known the extent of the ensuing slump, he would ever have embarked upon the purchase?

I suggest that he try for a short term rental to DHSS dependents, thus to be assured of a small income from his investment.

Failing that I would be pleased to service the said property and bring it back up to scratch on his behalf. My observations tell me that this period piece is of superb design and composed of top material requiring only some loving comfort and attention to detail in order to preserve the finer points.

Indeed I would find it a labour of love.

The City Folk Club said...

Dear Mr. Bent,
IRO your closing sentence, wouldn't we all?!