Friday 24 December 2010

A Seasonal Story #2

To continue ...

Owing to my incontinent messages on ‘facebook’, Jane had already discovered my impulsive purchase via a third party.
I survived, and the arrival of the parcel came as no surprise to her.

The parcel looked thus:


‘C’, my vendor, had advised that I allow the concertina to warm up in the house for an hour or so before trying to play it, so I had a beer while I admired the packaging.

I took my time unwrapping it, in mounting anticipation.

Excitement heightened.

“Slow down!” said Jane, so I had another beer.

I took more photographs of the process, because I love bubble-wrap.




Removing the bubble-wrap was rather like clearing the membranes from a new-born lamb.

Eventually this beautiful instrument was delivered into my world.


An hour had not yet passed so, in order not to disregard ‘C’’s prudent advice, I had another beer.
“Slow down!” screamed Jane.
This time she was referring to my consumption of beer.

The hour passed, oh so slowly.
The magic moment came.
I removed the elastic band that ‘C’ had wisely applied in order to keep the bellows compressed while in transit.
I touched, felt and gently caressed my new baby with all the tenderness of a loving father.

I couldn’t wait any longer … I tentatively pressed one of those friendly metal buttons and began to extend the bellows.
A note sounded.
Ah, bliss! It had the musical texture of polished silver that will ever remain in my memory.

“STOP!” cried Jane.
“Now wrap it up again, put some festive wrapping paper round it and put it under the Christmas tree. You are not having that until Christmas Day!”

“B-b-b-but …” I tried to say through my tears of joy.

“OK, I’ll have another beer!”

No comments: